Pasar Malam


After window shopping and eating at Suria KLCC, my companions and I dropped by a local pasar malam or night market at Ampang. Pasar malam are held on certain days during the week where vendors can sell foods like vegetables, fruits, fish, nasi lemak (and its varieties), satay, popiah, other dishes and snacks. Goods like shoes, clothes, and accessories are also sold. Sometimes, food that are not usually sold elsewhere, especially in malls, can be found in these night markets. Vendors come in vans and display their wares on the street on makeshift tables. Each stall is lit by portable lights powered by noisy generators. 

My eyes feasted on a lot at the night market--blue rice, yellow rice, dark purple plums, pink dragon fruits, green rice cakes, nasi goreng in large woks, nasi lemak wrapped in triangular leaves. Looking at all these colorful food made me feel full already! The only one I bought was something which looked like okoy (shrimp and squash fritters) from the Philippines. I'm not sure how it's called in Malaysia, but above the mound of these fried  fritters with shrimp was a sign that says "udang" so I figured it must be called an udang.


A trip to a pasar malam is an opportunity to have a taste and feel of the local community. When you're in Malaysia, try to ask a local to bring you to a pasar malam. 



Comments