Night Café and Night Market at CDO

The first time I visited Cagayan de Oro City, I didn't have the chance to roam the city's streets because my companions and I spent most of our time in the countryside and in whitewater rafting. This time, I arrived in the City of Friendship on a Friday, in time for the night cafe and night market at Plaza Divisoria, which is held  every Friday and Saturday night in the heart of the city. 






The main street is closed so stall owners and vendors can display their array of grilled meat and seafood, fruits, accessories, clothes, bags, and other items for ukay-ukay. While customers enjoy their chicken barbecue or grilled squid, band members provide live entertainment in the smoke-filled surrounding. 

I began my food trip with a very affordable 3-for-P10 Mandaue siomai (I don't know why it's called as such but I'm guessing it must have something to do with its distant neighbor Mandaue City in Cebu). I wanted some fruits so I bought 1/4 kilo of lanzones harvested from Camiguin, and they turned out to be really sweet. I had grilled tuna and chopsuey for dinner, but the food stall from which I bought the dishes didn't have puso, or rice wrapped in coconut leaves and shaped into what looks like a heart. 

Because only a month ago I splurged on ukay-ukay up in Baguio, I was determined this time not to spend too much on ukay-ukay. I was happy enough to walk away from the night market with one aquamarine blouse with wooden beads on the neckline at P35, and a loot of rings at P25 each. 


I left the night cafe and night market but not without buying the puso. I took a bite of the glutinous rice as I said good night to the heart of the city. 

  

Comments