Being in Bulacan

I was recently invited to be one of the speakers in a high school retreat in a resort in Norzagaray, Bulacan. Other than a view of the mountains, valley floor, and streets with scattered rice grains left to dry, I didn't see much, but I had the chance to travel on extreme roads--from SLEX* to NLEX*, from national highways to barangay roads, from cracked pavements to rough roads. 




The resort turned out to be in a secluded place and the only public transportation that could bring me there from the neighboring Sapang Palay, San Jose del Monte was a tricycle. As expected when traveling on rough roads, the ride was more often bumpy than smooth aboard the three wheels. When the driver turned right into a wilderness, I must admit I had thoughts of being held up but I brushed it aside and quickly uttered a prayer. The tricycle driver  did turn out to be trustworthy and brought me safely to the hidden resort.


On my return home, my host couldn't find a tricycle for me right away, so the caretaker of the resort offered instead to give me a ride to the barangay road where I can have a better chance of flagging down a tricycle back to Sapang Palay. So I gladly climbed into the front seat of his elf truck and after a few minutes we were out of the wilderness. Then he endorsed me to an old gentleman across the street who turned out to be his friend. When the old gentleman learned that I was heading back to Cubao via Sapang Palay, he suggested that I take the shorter, more convenient route via Norzagaray. I didn't know that route, but then before coming to that part of Bulacan, I didn't know the Sapang Palay way either. So why not welcome the adventure of treading another  unknown path--only this time aboard the old gentleman's motorcycle. I have made it a rule to ride in a motorcycle only when my husband is driving--and we don't own a motorcycle--so this is probably just the second of third time I'm riding in this kind of vehicle. The old guy seems helpful and harmless and I'm in the middle of an empty road anyway, so I took the challenge. True enough the route back to Manila, specifically Cubao, via Norzagaray was shorter. 

Others would probably complain of the uncomfortable trip I went through, but for me it was a worthwhile trip. The opportunity to inspire the young participants with a three-hour inspirational talk was an investment I was willing to take. I went to their retreat to share some insights and impart some values and in doing so, I confirmed a few valuable lessons for us who are still journeying and learning. First, taking a different route can sometimes make life easier and more exciting for us. Second, if you know something valuable, don't hesitate to share it with someone on the journey who might benefit from what you know. That old man cut my trip shorter by probably half an hour and my bus fare by P110. Third, the view may not always be pleasant or spectacular but if you keep your eyes and mind open, you might still find something or someone admirable or refreshing. 

*SLEX (South Luzon Expressway); NLEX (North Luzon Expressway)

Comments