A Visit to Wittenberg


October 31 is Reformation Day. It is a religious holiday celebrated in some parts of Germany to commemorate the Reformation led by Martin Luther. In 2006, I was blessed to have been invited by an aunt and her husband to visit and tour Germany, including Lutherstadt Wittenberg. It was in Wittenberg where Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses against the granting of indulgences.



It was windy, showering, and about 12C when we reached Lutherstadt Wittenberg. I thought it strange that the streets where empty and that the stores were closed. There were very few people on the streets. When I asked my German uncle why this is so, he said because it was a Sunday and people are at home. What a different site from the land where I came from where people come in throngs to the malls on weekends!





In front of the Rathaus or city hall was a monument of Luther. Nearby is the Schlosskirche (Castle Church) on the door of which Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses against the granting of the indulgences. I quickly took a picture of the theses now etched in metal, one at the door, and another inside the church. It was here also that Luther and another German religious reformer Philip Melanchton were laid to rest. Then we went to another church dating from 14th century where Luther preached. 



I couldn't find an appropriate word to describe how I felt as I walked through these great historical places. It was a rare opportunity to be in the very place where God moved at a critical time in the development of the church. It was here in Wittenberg, Germany in the 16th century where God stirred up Luther with the revelation that salvation is by grace through faith alone. I was grateful and privileged, but beyond this, I know I have to keep in mind of the danger of building monuments while refusing to flow with the movement of the Spirit of God. 

When I saw the pulpit from where Martin Luther preached his sermons on Sundays, I asked our local tour guides to pose with me under the pulpit. I wanted to be reminded by this picture of the call of God--of the Great Commission Jesus gave to His disciples: to go to all nations, baptize them, and teach them to obey all that Jesus commanded.





Comments