Beautiful Boracay

I’ve always dreamed of going to Boracay. Many of my friends and half of my siblings have gone to the much-acclaimed island, voted often as one of the best beaches in the world. But for most Filipinos, as in my case, going to Boracay is expensive. But I prayed and kept my hope that one day, I too will set my feet on the white sands of the island and swim in its turquoise sea.



God does answer prayers because my time finally came. Thanks to a promo fare by Seair, I was able to get a ticket for me and my husband for a February date. Then it was time to scout for cheap accommodation. I spent hours searching the internet for an accommodation that would fit our limited budget. Through Hostelbookers, I discovered Trafalgar Cottages in Station 3 even before we landed on the beach. When we finally checked-in I was pleased at the cottage we rented. Though it only has minimal facilities like a bed, cabinet, bathroom, electric fan, and a balcony with a hammock, for P1100.00/night ($25) on a peak season, Trafalgar Cottages’ rate is reasonable. The owner, Mr. Joel Tejada, and his staff are friendly and helpful too. 



Things To Do in Boracay

There are a lot of things to do in Boracay. For thrill seekers and for those who want aqua sports, they can choose from parasailing, kite surfing, diving, riding the banana boat and many others. Nature lovers can go island hopping or climb Mt. Luho, the highest point of the island. But we opted for activities that didn’t cost us quite a lot. We went there mainly for the sand and the sea, so we went beach combing and swimming. There are of course a lot of people in Boracay—foreigners mostly—so we did our favorite past time: people-watching.

It was also fun cruising the island’s main road aboard the tricycle, strolling at D’Mall, shopping for souvenirs at the Old Talipapa, and buying fresh prawns for lunch which we ourselves cooked at Trafalgar’s common kitchen.We had brief encounters with the locals, like Willy, who rises at dawn to carve castles out of Boracay’s white sands. Unable to work regularly because of a disability, he earns from the donations people give for posing by his sand sculptures. We also met peddlers of souvenirs along the beach and two young skim boarders who, I learned, have stopped going to school because their parents could no longer afford to send them to school. The father of one of the boys makes skim boards, and these two youngsters teach anyone who wants to learn how to glide on the water surface. I wish these teenagers could go back to school and get a good education. They should be in the classrooms and not on the beach everyday.

Perhaps the highlight of our brief stay in Boracay was something I haven’t done in my life—helmet diving or also called reef walking. Wearing a 30-kg helmet that has access to an oxygen tank, we descended 12 feet down into the bottom of the sea guided by an experienced diver. Life moves slowly underwater, but the colorful fishes dancing gracefully were a real wonder. I could not help but praise God for His marvelous creation.


Going Home

What did I take back home? Pasalubong, of course. Lots of pictures, the ones we took and the ones the diver captured when we were underwater walking on the reef. Yes, memories too. Also, the desire to come back, but this time, with the kids, and the desire for others to experience the beauty of Boracay too. I remember the people—the cottage owner, the souvenir peddlers, the skim boarders tanned from the sun. And the foreigners too.There were more foreigners than Filipinos on the plane and on the beach. I look forward to the day when more Filipinos can enjoy the beauty of their own country.

Most of all, I went home thankful for the three-day vacation, grateful for God’s provision, recharged with the realization that vacation is indeed God’s idea. He calls us to rest from working, worrying, and wandering. Creation has a way of recharging a weary soul. Boracay is beautiful I and wish I could come back again. 



Comments